Thursday, April 2, 2009

update on my surgery

The surgery went well yesterday. The most difficult part was the fasting from solid foods the day before, but I have a wonderful husband who went out and bought me some broth, jello cups, and these delicious fruit Popsicles. There was a bit of a wait before they did the surgery (the surgery was supposed to be scheduled at 12:30), but the nurses and doctors kept checking in on me and gave me excellent care. When it came time for them to wheel me down to the operating room thanks to the anesthesia I was already out.

When it was over it was about 2:45 and they wheeled me to the recovery room to doze off a little. When I was more awake around 4:30 they gave me some delicious apple juice and buttered toast. Then they told me I should try getting up and getting dressed. I felt like I was half asleep when I stood up on my two feet, but I managed okay. They told me they called my husband Ed to park the truck right outside the day surgery door and call after he did that. But no call ever came. Finally at 5:30 I told them "I think my husband is waiting for me in the waiting room." The nurse told me she would bring me there, grabbed a wheelchair, and I was off to the waiting room. It turned out I was right. Ed was waiting for me there and our truck was right outside the door. As we were heading out to the truck I learned that the nurse who was pushing my wheelchair had endometriosis too. She told me she knew a lot of women who had it.

When we were driving home I asked Ed if the surgeon spoke to him because he didn't come and speak to me (The surgeon told me before the surgery that if he spoke to me afterwards I wouldn't remember anything he said, which is true!). Ed told me that the surgeon reported I had no endometriomas (cysts on my ovaries), but I did have a lot of endometriosis and adhesians. The surgeon said that he took an "aggresive" approach to getting it all. The surgeon also reported that my ovaries looked fine and my fallopian tubes were clear, not blocked! I was very surprised to hear that. I really thought he was going to find more endometriomas and my tubes were blocked. I had also been afraid that the surgeon would have to perform open stomach surgery again like I had for my first surgery on February 12th 2008, but no he was able to perform the keyhole surgery through my belly button. Best of all, I didn't have to stay overnight in the hospital and was able to leave the same day.

I am at my Mother's house right now until Saturday when Ed is coming back to pick me up. He wanted someone here with me while I recover in case I need them. I am doing pretty well. I was able to get a good night's rest, I am up and moving. I have some pain, but it's not that bad. I am feeling thankful that this second surgery is over and relief that it went well. I am looking forward to feeling no more pain hopefully from this endometriosis. I am also committed to doing all I can to try to prevent the endometriosis from returning by eating healthy, staying away from dairy and meat, and drinking more water. No more soda for me!

I have God and the Blessed Mother through her rosary to thank for leading us to this surgeon, that the surgery went well, and for this good recovery. I also have my wonderful husband to thank too for his love and support through this. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Today I need to call the surgeon and schedule an appointment to see him to discuss my surgery and see the pictures he took from the surgery. Meanwhile I will be out of work for about two weeks.

Thanks everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and kind thoughts!

I really appreciate it all!

May God Bless all my family and friends on here.

Love,
Maria :)

11 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

Praise God that you seem to be doing good. Keep up the positive attitude. I'm wondering about how dairy and meat causes endometriosis. I'm having my surgery in May (Lord Willing). Hmmm...Did they recommend you take two weeks off or are you just doing that as a precaution? I was told to take a few days or up to a week. Anyways...Glad to hear you are okay. Blessings.

Carol D'Annunzio said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well, I've been waiting to hear. Will continue to keep you in prayer as you recover --

And will continue the prayers that you will be able to conceive if it is in the Lord's plan. His will is always better than ours but it is sooo hard to accept that sometimes (at least for me!). :-)

deedee-7766 said...

natural bio identical progesterone is one of the best ways to keep endo at bay, esp if you had a good excision surgery...best to work with an nfp doc

some resources for others with endo

endo can be helped by surgery

centerforendo.com

endometriosissurgeon.com

endoexcision.com

pelvicpain.com

naprotechnology.com

johnleemd.com

endo101.com

endometriosis.org

endo-resolved.com

erc.activboard.com/

fertilitycare.org

deedee-7766 said...

if you google something like mothers over 40 you will be so encouraged to see the info out there...

also, there is a book 'so glad we waited' - it's for moms over 35, but hey - this is 2009!

there's a book on acupuncture for fertility (acupuncture helps me with endo pain) - and marilyn shannon has a book on nutrition and fertility

Steph said...

I am so happy to hear that your surgery went well. Praise God! I will keep you in my prayers.
God is so good.

allyouwhohope said...

I'm so glad your surgery went well! And, yes, I will take pictures at St. Gianna's feast day Mass and share them with everyone on my blog :)

Fertile Thoughts said...

Thank you for the encouragement to pray the rosary!!! That was very thoughtful of you :) I know it is a devotion that is very powerful...my Dh and I used to pray the it every day when we first got married then we fell out of the habit :( I know the rosary would give me a lot more peace of mind about suffering with IF that's for sure. I am sorry to hear you had to have another surgery. That is great though that your tubes are clear.YEAH. I had a girlfriend that had stage IV endo too. About six months after her lap. and trying other drugs (lupron) she did the endo. diet. After three months she was pain free and three months after that she conceived her beautiful baby girl. I highly recommend it ;) I hope you take it easy over the next two weeks and give yourself as much pampering as needed!!! Take your time recovering :) Thanks for visiting my blog.
Many prayers,
Amber

Duck said...

HI,
Thanks for stopping by the blog.
Some good books are
the endometriosis source book, endometriosis diet a key to healing through nutrition - but there are a lot of great books out there and so so much you can do with diet and lifestyle changes, and it works, I've made a lot of diet changes and have found significant affects (and once you get used to it it becomes like second nature). Randine Lewis's book is great it's called the "fertility cure" and it recommends a lot of great changes, I also recommend acupuncture/meditation, gentle exercise and a diet full of healthy fats, and very low in animal fat/cheese/dairy/wheat/fried things... Best of luck.

JellyBelly said...

i'm glad that your surgery went well.
i still can't get over how much two little incisions hurt!

thanks so much for the comment on my blog.

i hope that you have a very blessed easter!

JellyBelly said...

btw, i just added you to my blogroll.

:)

Jamie said...

I have not been reading many blogs lately and have no email at this time, but you have been in my thoughts and prayers, I'm so glad the surgery went well.

Praying for you...love you!