Sunday, December 13, 2009

Update on Napro doctor's visit - being tested for PCOS!

I had a wonderful visit with my Napro doctor. He could tell I felt very anxious, answered all my questions, and he tried to reassure me. He looked at my hormone results from the last day of last cycle, which were taken at my yearly physical on Dec. 1st and told me my hormones were where they were supposed to be. He also took a look at my FSH and LH results and told me those were fine too. He reassured me that from my FHS and LH results it didn't look like I was anywhere near menopause, thank God! What a huge relief! But then why, am I starting to skip periods? He told me that a women can skip periods for any number of reasons. He looked at my Creighton chart with all the green stickers the last two cycles and agreed with me that he didn't think I was ovulating. He prescribed Femara on day three of my last cycle (two pills for five days) and told me if I didn't have any CM (cervical mucus) this cycle then on day three of my next cycle to take eight pills of the Femara. I haven't seen any CM yet and this is supposed to be my fertile time. I am not sure what's going on. We talked about the possibility of PCOS and he wants to test me for that on P+7. If I don't ovulate this cycle again though, then how can we tell it is P+7? Again, I am not showing any signs of CM or ovulating.

For those of you diagnosed with endometriosis and pcos, is there anything I can do diet wise to encourage more regular CM and ovulation? Skipping periods is highly unusual for me. I have been regular all my life. Also as far as I know, up until only a few months ago, I was having regular CM and ovulating.

If you have any words of encouragement for me, advice, suggestions, or if you could please pray for me I would really love to hear from you! Thank you so much!

Thinking of you and praying for you all!

Love,
Maria

17 comments:

Kelly said...

I have PCOS (diagnosised 10 years ago) and there are some diet changes that you can do to help along with herbs. I don't have a lot of time now, but when I find a few moment I will write it all up for you, if you like!

Adrian said...

great posting

Caldwell said...

Hey I think you have great visit to napro doctor. I also suggest you to visit the bioidentical hormone doctor he also may give tips to cure PCOS.

Praying for Hope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Praying for Hope said...

(Sorry, I had to delete my original comment because my typing skills are horrendous.)

I wish I had some advice, diet-wise, but nada. I don't know if it'll do any good, but there are women who swear by FertileCM. It's primary ingredient is L-Arginine which is supposed to help with CM. Of course, there's also the usual Mucinex twice a day, and the option of Amoxicillin (a CM enhancing antibiotic). These suggestions only tackle CM itself. I'm afraid they don't do anything to encourage ovulation.

Shannon said...

head over to allyouwhohope.blogspot.com

she's on a diet for PCOS!!!

I pray for you. Glad you're posting!

mrsblondies said...

All You Who Hope (and a number of other people) are on a Low Glycemic Index diet. The main thing is reducing insulin levels by cutting out refined sugars, white flours, etc.

Ann - Building a Nest said...

I am PCOS and like AYWH, I am on the low GI deit. It is basically lower carb, but not as extreme as Atkins & South Beach. Not all carbs are created equal and some are good for you, but others are not. Some quick things: switch out white flour for whole wheat flour (ALL THE TIME), white rice for brown rice, use very high fiber whole wheat bread, etc. I used to have a carb (or 2) with every meal and have dramatically reduced that. There are some foods that are off limits. The book is by Rick Gallop. Email me if you need more information and I'll gladly tell you more.

That, and if you have PCOS, the Dr. will put you on Metformin RX if you aren't on it already. Mostly likely he will start you out with one pill and you work your way up to 3.

Tina Marie said...

I had trouble conceiving for almost three years even though I had previously had three children. Last November I found out that I have celiac disease. After being on a gluten free diet for about six months I finally conceived. I miscarried, but became pregnant during my next cycle. This may be going out on a limb, but it doesn't hurt to get checked. It is a simple blood check. Here is an interesting article that helped encourage us to keep trying. http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com/celiac-disease-in-pregnancy.html Btw, we also used Fertile CM and Fertilitea and I upped my B6 to the highest over-the-counter dosage possilbe. I used the advice from the book Fertitiy, Nutrition and Cycles. I am not sure which of the above helped, but I hope this encourages you not to get discouraged. One other thing I did, was put a picture of Saint Margaret of Antioch by my beside and asked for her intercession. She is the patron of miscarriage, expectant mothers, labour etc. Good luck and God Bless!

LifeHopes said...

I think this sounds like a terrific visit!

And I am betting the Femara will get you ovulating and back on track!!

LifeHopes said...

Please forgive me for asking, but has your stage 4 endometriosis been excised surgically? I am assuming it has, otherwise how else would you know you have it?

I tried to peruse back through your blog but must have missed this point! (I too had stage 4 endo before surgery)

Praying for you!

Fertile Thoughts said...

I wonder why your periods are becoming irregular...that is so strange. I really wish I knew more about this but I am really clueless. I am so glad your Dr. is putting you on Femera. i hope you get the results you are looking for! Praying for you!
xo,
Amber

WheelbarrowRider said...

agree with others-try taking mucinex roughly 4 days before you ovulate to 2 days after-2 pills twice a day. it worked well for me. i have endo and pcos.

Sew said...

Hey you did get the email I sent you about your advent prayer buddy? I'm assuming you received her gift by now too....Let me know!

Julie Fier said...

I followed the diet in the book "Endometriosis, healing through nutrition" which made my symptoms for endometriosis much better, but after 9 years of trying, we have not conceived. We can't afford adoption either. We actually were turned down by a Catholic adoption agency because we didn't meet the income requirements. We are still living on a dead end road!

Karima said...

Hi Maria,
I hope soon that you will be blessed with a child. A couple months ago after a second miscarriage I was doing some research and came across a study that was done, it didn't have any pertinence to me, but it stated that chiropractic work can sometimes alleviate infertility issues, I guess maybe it's a long shot, but I thought I'd pass on the information just in case it could work for you. You have to look up the doctor's background, usually they will have either pregnancy or fertility references in their specialties. God Bless and hope this works for you.
Karima

chimachine said...

I was diagnosed Endometriosis 6 months back and now taking oral contraceptives. Sometimes, I experience much pain in my lower abdomen. To shed this stress and anxiety, I switch to
chi machine. I feel energized all the day.